Vision Care Product News

MAY 2017

Product information for optical people.

Issue link: http://vcpn.epubxp.com/i/821097

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 29 of 83

VisionCareProducts.com VCPN 28 May 2017 MICHELE SILVER: What is the unique perspective that you bring to your position? TOVE FRITZELL: I took a break halfway through my engineering master's degree to do a ski season in the French alps and ended up staying. Rather than going into the chemical industry, I picked up on an opportunity to join [Vista Outdoor]. I finished my master's thesis while I was skiing, cycling, climbing and running the POC flagship store in Chamonix. I soon joined the product development team, managing eyewear and hel- mets. So my unique perspective comes from three pair of eyes: the retail and customer service man- ager, the engineer/product man- ager and the skier-mountain biker/outdoor sports enthusiast. SILVER: What changes are you planning to make in terms of product offerings ? FRITZELL: The brand has been quick to adopt some of the most useful advancements in technolo- gy. An example of this would be the growing number of products in both the sunglass and goggle cate- gories equipped with photochro- mic Trivex lenses. In addition, we developed a new liner technology for our snow helmets, AViD, which uses an innovative mix of materials and manufacturing techniques. The helmet is impressively light and extremely well-ventilated for its demanding users who spend long days on the mountain. SILVER: What growth areas do you see in the sunglass and goggle market? Tove Fritzell, Bollé global product manager for Vista Outdoor , not only talks the talk but walks the walk. This outdoor sports fan—who has a mas- ter's degree in chemical engineering and industrial ecology from the Royal Institute of Technology in Stock- holm—joined the company this past January. She started her career in 2010 with POC, a Swedish-based sporting goods brand and worked her way up to products manager. Here, Fritzell high- lights the technology that keeps Bolle's sunglasses at the forefront of performance eyewear and explains why the company is just the right size. ONE-TO-ONE "WE'RE BIG ENOUGH TO MAKE THE PROPER INVESTMENTS TO BRING INTERESTING AND DESIRABLE PRODUCTS TO MARKET." -Tove Fritzell FRITZELL: Serious athletes and out- door enthusiasts are beginning to fully recognize that eyewear is more than just protection from UV light, wind and airborne debris. Done right, sunglasses and goggles can actually help improve both perfor- mance and the overall experience. SILVER: What are the top-selling products and why? FRITZELL: In the U.S., 8-base and 6-base models in our Sport Life- style collection are bestsellers because they meet real-world needs in terms of protection, fit, style and versatility. Also, our Sport Lifestyle models offer a range of useful fea- tures such as polarization, anti-fog treatment, Thermogrip temple tips and nosepads. Models in our sport-specific lines for cycling, golf, tennis and water- sports are very popular, but the spe- cialized nature of these means a more limited audience. Many of the technologies and features devel- oped for our sport-specific sun- glasses eventually trickle down to our Sport Lifestyle collection. SILVER: How does Bollé differ from the competition? FRITZELL: We're big enough to have the resources to make the proper investments necessary to bring an interesting, diverse and desirable selection of products to market. We are of sufficient size to recognize the factors that are driving and/or dis- rupting the market. We are, on the other hand, not so big that the nec- essary course adjustments cannot be easily and quickly accomplished. Doing business with us never becomes overly bureaucratic. SILVER: What are the top three factors that you want ECPs to know about Bollé ? FRITZELL: I'd say the most import- ant thing is that we're fun to hang out with at a trade show. Seriously, it's the three things that make the most difference to their business: selec- tion, service and margin. First and foremost, ECPs want well-built, stylish products to fit a diverse range of customers. Bollé has one of the industry's most comprehensive lines of eyewear for every lifestyle and style preference. Next, with a seasoned crew of long-time indus- try pros and support from indepen- dent reps, we are able to provide stel- lar service. Finally, our margins— often enhanced by generous incen- tive programs—are among the best in the category.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Vision Care Product News - MAY 2017